Wednesday, 30 December 2009
Monday, 28 December 2009
Sunday, 27 December 2009
Friday, 25 December 2009
Wednesday, 23 December 2009
Hope you are still enjoying the snow. My choices for my Super 5 accumulator :-
- Manchester City
- Hull 0 v 2 Manchester United
- Birmingham o v 2 Chelsea
- Liverpool 3 v 0 Wolves
Tuesday, 22 December 2009
Monday, 21 December 2009
- Eddie Gray (Leeds United) - a fantastic player. His two goals against Burnley in 1970 are awesome and his ability to sell a dummy made Mothercare envious.
- John Robertson (Nottingham Forest) - from what I remember, he only seemed to have two tricks but no one could guess which one he was going to use. Old school top class footballer.
- Chris Waddle (Spurs) - looked like a nashville drummer. Very unique dribbling style.
- Pat Nevin (Chelsea) - small and light weight but could turn like a Strictly Come Dancing contestant.
- Charlie Cooke (Chelsea) - another great Scottish winger. Where have they all gone?
1.Football Against The Enemy - by Simon Kuper who travelled to 22 countries from South Africa to Italy, from Russia to the USA, to examine the way football has shaped them. This is without a doubt the best book about football I have ever read. Why has it not been made into a documentary?
2.The Damned Utd - by David Peace. You may have seen the film. The book is better; darker and funnier, a brilliant deconstruction of the male psyche ( no, really, this is a brilliant novel).
3.Fever Pitch - by Nick Hornby -the classic book about what it feels like to be a fan. A modern classic.
Any other recommendations?
Saturday, 19 December 2009
Hope you are enjoying the snow. My choices for my Super 5 accumulator :-
- Crystal Palace
- Everton 2 v 0 Birmingham
- West Ham o v 3 Chelsea
- Manchester City 3 v 0 Sunderland
Thursday, 17 December 2009
The only football clip that comes close can be found in Kes [DVD]  by Ken Loach. Within this wonderful film, Brian Glover plays a sports teacher. The scene on the football pitch is brilliant.
Monday, 14 December 2009
Friday, 11 December 2009
My choices for my Super 5 accumulator on this very foggy morning are:-
- Liverpool 2 v 0 Arsenal
- Bolton o v 2 Man City
- Stoke 0 v 0 Wigan
Wednesday, 9 December 2009
It's fab. And addictive. Since I added the counter, I have been visited by readers from over 60 counties. I yearn for the other 120 counties in the world. I will not stop posting until I have been visited by someone from Burkino Faso, Cyprus, Zambia, Chile.......Ok, I need to speak to someone.
Sunday, 6 December 2009
Friday, 4 December 2009
My choices for my Super 5 accumulator on this cold winter evening are:-
- Aston Villa
- MK Dons
- Manchester City 2 v 0 Chelsea
- Everton 1 v 0 Spurs
- Blackburn 1 v 0 Liverpool
Thursday, 3 December 2009
Re-branding should not lead to the re-write of the history of the game. Do I ever stop moaning? No need to answer.